Thursday, April 25, 2013

Postpartum Depression

I didn't know how bad postpartum depression could be until I wrote a paper about it for english. I decided to write about "The Yellow Wallpaper," so I wrote about how the woman had postpartum depression. You could say that there are 3 stages of this depression. Baby blues is the mildest. Baby blues is a depression that women who have just had a baby can get. It only lasts one to two weeks, though. If baby blues doesn't go away, then it turns into postpartum depression. This is where medication is needed. The symptoms worsen and counseling is also needed. If someone who has postpartum depression doesn't get treated, the depression turns into postpartum psychosis. This is the most severe. This is where women start having hallucinations and are very paranoid. This is exactly what happened to the woman in "The Yellow Wallpaper." I blame her husband, too. Women who don't get treated for this can end up doing horrible things to themselves or others. I think that the woman in the story really did hang herself with the rope. I actually learned a lot about postpartum depression from this short story. I was surprised at how much I got from it.

2 comments:

  1. I chose to write about that also. I think that post partum is a very sad form of depression. Its soooo sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I can't get that. I had no idea it was that bad either. I wouldn't wish that one anyone.

    ReplyDelete